KC Foodie

What to eat? I ask myself that about 100 times day because I am that much of a food whore. Especially living in Kansas City, it really seems like we have scant choices, unless you happen to be in the mood for BBQ (and I know it's blasphemous, but really I'm never in the mood for it because GASP! I don't like it). Join me on my gastronomic adventures through KC, and there will be some good eating to be done. In all seriousness, this is just to keep a log of how much of a pig I really am.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

April Fools!

Today is a beautiful day. It is finally springtime in Kansas City, and I couldn't be happier. I mean, really, what's the deal with snow? I hope you read that with Jerry Seinfeld's voice in your head because that was the intention. I hate snow. I am from California. I don't think I have to explain.

Anyway, with the onset of spring, you can expect there to be people teeming out of sidewalk cafes and patio seating at fine establishments around the city. And then there will be the incredible lines coming out the door of Foo's, Coldstone's and possibly Cherries (those will probably be mostly tourists though).

On this lovely afternoon, after fighting my way through the throngs of people at Cosentino's Price Chopper, I decided to make a quick stop into the Plaza Starbucks. Except that quick wouldn't really be the word to describe it. After drive around aimlessly for 20 minutes, I spotted a couple leaving, and swooped in on their spot in the underground parking lot below Classic Cup, only to be confronted with a line of 10 in front of me when I got inside the 'bucks. Waiting behind 15 people for your drink (even if my drink was free due to a survey I filled out on line), I get impatient, and I promised myself that I would try to go to another coffee shop. As always, I know I lied to myself.

I like Starbucks. I know, I'm terrible. I just like the way their mixed drinks taste. I cannot drink straight up coffee because A. I think it tastes gross and B. it gives me palpatations. Call me a hypochondriac, but it's true. So I like to get white chocolate mochas (iced or hot), caramel apple ciders, arnold palmers, or iced chai lattes. And they have the best tasting stuff out there. Not to mention that there is a new barista at the Plaza location, and he is gorgeous. But alas, he is probably younger than me, which is depressing since I am in my early twenties.

So my first real post will be about coffee shops. There are a ton out there, but even though I frequent several occasionally, I will inevitably go back to the corporate giant that is the overpriced starbucks.

Filling Station/Coffee Girls (McGee or Southwest Blvd): one of the newer kids on the block, these two spots have a lot of local personality. Filling Station is the closest to me, so I have frequented it a lot more than the other location. Americano gas station themed, the beverage menu is small, but has your basics. For mixed drinks, I would recommend the Almond Roca lait, although it sort of has a bitter taste to it. I usually get the iced chai there, but they use the Oregon Chai concentrate mix which you can buy at your local supermarket. My friends really like their lunch selection of sandwiches, salads and wraps some of which come with fruit or chips. They also have fresh juices/smoothies, which are a little more pricey, but if that's your dig, they've got it.

Latte Land: With three locations (two on the plaza, and one on Stateline near Culver's/Ward Parkway Mall), and one allegedly on the way at the Power and Light district, this locally owned chain is expanding in this already crowded market. I'm not a fan of the coffee here. But, I am a fan of their smoothies. The one across from Capital Grille has a nice outdoor seating area, and as a whole they've all got nice atmosphere.

Muddy's: I've only been here once. And I swear I almost had a heart attack after drinking a raspberry latte. The coffee was incredible strong, and that doesn't sit well with me, I'm very weak. The one by UMKC (it may be the only one left) is a hangout for a lot of students, and I know some of my friends study there often. Nice cozy, kind of bohemian atmosphere.

The Roasterie: newly opened in Brookside, several eateries and markets have been selling their coffee for years. Spacious, nice outdoor seating, lots of yummy bakery treats (the berry tart is especially tempting). The baristas were friendly, and it's a nice place to meet up with friends on the weekend. Their iced chai was a little milked down for me, I mean it was like white. The older Brookside crowd is there.

Starbucks: I prefer the one on the Plaza because I think the baristas are the nicest there, and no wonder, it is a high traffic location. They also mix the drinks better there, I've never had a drink that wasn't the right sweetness. Some have been too hot/cold, but what can you do. The location inside Barnes and Noble is great because they've got Cheesecake Factory cheesecakes, and there's a nice area to sit and study. Please you've got the magazine section right next to it. The one is Westport is my least favorite location because the baristas aren't very friendly, to me anyway, and they don't mix as well. Plus, I don't like the parking situation as much. It is a bigger location though, I believe, but Broadway Cafe is next door and is always more bumpin' on the weekends. 39th Street's branch is a cute, small one, but the baristas are the friendliest of all the locations I've been to here. It's relatively low traffic on the weekdays, but the parking lot is tiny. I have yet been to the one Downtown, but my friend says it is relatively empty and a great place to study. The Lee's Summit one near John Knox is nice and suburban, enough said.

There are a ton more, most notable on my list to try: Barista at the Plaza Library, Broadway Cafe, Westport Coffeehouse and River Market Coffee. The Mixx also has coffee, but I'll talk about when I do the review of the Mixx in entirety.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home