KC Foodie

What to eat? I ask myself that about 100 times day because I am that much of a food whore. Especially living in Kansas City, it really seems like we have scant choices, unless you happen to be in the mood for BBQ (and I know it's blasphemous, but really I'm never in the mood for it because GASP! I don't like it). Join me on my gastronomic adventures through KC, and there will be some good eating to be done. In all seriousness, this is just to keep a log of how much of a pig I really am.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Custard's Last Stand

Custard is a food that has recently become near and dear to my heart. I'm from California, so custard was foreign to me until I moved here 3 years ago. I was all about the FroYo, which they need here. Custard, however, has swirled its way into my life--it's rich, smooth, thick, all the qualities I admire in a frozen dessert. In the last two weeks, I've had 3 different kinds of custard...and with Summer on its way, I will definitely be having more in the near future.

Foo's: This Brookside wonder has great concretes which are vanilla custards (They ONLY make Vanilla) with prefixed combinations of mix ins. I especially enjoy the Coffee Toffee or Cinnaberry. Or, you can make your own combinations with different toppings, nuts, fruits, and candies. There are sundaes, cones, and the staff of teens are friendly and ready to dish out whatever you order...and I mean this, two weeks ago, they were pouncing over the counter to take my order. Service is fast and friendly, and I think the custard can't be beat. There's something to be said about custard from a mom and pop shop...and it is that it is freaking awesome.

Culver's: I enjoy Culver's immensely. It's a huge chain, with lots of stores across the Midwest, but I frequent the one on Stateline, sort of near the Ward Parkway mall. The thing about Culver's that has got its competition beat is that they serve hot food too. Their ButterBurgers are delicious, and I love their own brand Root Beer. Culver's has a different featured flavor each day--last week I had Chocolate Raspberry (real raspberries mixed with chocolate custard), and some of the other flavors this month were Toffee Pecan, Turtle, Raspberry Cobbler, Chocolate Covered Strawberry, and Boston Cream.

Sheridan's: I like Sheridan's vanilla custard with strawberry sauce. Their custard seems a little lighter, although it probably isn't. It also seems more velvety in texture. They've also got concretes, but I prefer Foo's. The thing about Sheridan's is they've got carts that go to a lot of different events. I've never actually eaten at a Sheridan's location, even though I live very close to one. The carts are so convenient, and there is often one set up near my school, so everyone can indulge. It's another large Midwest chain, that is further expanding...I believe one is going in at the Legends shopping center near the Speedway.

Cherrie's: Cherrie's was the first custard I ever had, and I can't say it was that memorable. I think the best thing Cherrie's has got going for it is the location. It is right on the plaza, facing South, near Williams Sonoma. Their custard is so-so, and their prefixed items are decadent, but a little too much of a good thing.

So, the summer's almost here, go out and get your custard!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home