KC Foodie

What to eat? I ask myself that about 100 times day because I am that much of a food whore. Especially living in Kansas City, it really seems like we have scant choices, unless you happen to be in the mood for BBQ (and I know it's blasphemous, but really I'm never in the mood for it because GASP! I don't like it). Join me on my gastronomic adventures through KC, and there will be some good eating to be done. In all seriousness, this is just to keep a log of how much of a pig I really am.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Hit me babycake one more time...

I am so cheesy. But this title is in honor of Britney Spears bringing yet another child into this world. How did we get so lucky?

One of my favorite new fooderies in KC is a bit of a quandry for me. Since I was a little girl, I have hated cupcakes. In fact, I'm not a very big fan of cake in general, unless it has some sort of fruit in the middle (aside, if you're ever in Orange County, CA, I would highly recommend Rockwell's Bakery in Villa Park--the white chocolate curl, chocolate cake with raspberries and cream filling is the best piece of cake you will have ever tasted, you could can hold me to that statement). I just don't like overdone, too sweet frosting. That is, until I met my babycakes.

Anyway, when I heard this place was opening, I just had to try it. Flash forward several months, and I've been to Babycakes near River Market at least 4 times now. The notion of cupcake bakeries has been popping up across the nation. I know there have been a few in LA, and several in Vegas and NY, but now KC can say that it has it's own little trendy cupcakery. Every day, babycakes has a different assortment of cupcakes, each for about $1.80. My favorite is the caramel cupcake. The cake itself is not too sweet, but it has sugary crumbles on top of vanilla frosting, which gives it a good combination of flavor. Red Velvet, Chocolate, Carrot are other favorites. Each cupcake is so cute, and has a personality of its own, that you can't help but want to try them all. And the shop itself is so quaintly decorated, with a vintage polka dotted floor and color scheme. It's a hole in the wall, that's for sure, but it's nice to take the cupcakes and walk around River Market, or just sit on the bench outside the bakery.

There are also assorted "frou frou" chocolates, in assorted flavors like peanut butter/chocolate, raspberry, bittersweet chocolate and orange, chocolate mocha, and toffee; these are what greet you when you walk into the small space. There's also coffee on a shelf with some other items such as stationary cards. The staff is super friendly, and Babycakes is really a place where you feel at home. The smells, the tastes, it has it all.

Right now, the menu is limited to a few types of cupcakes per day, but hopefully in the near future, they will expand their business and featured cupcakes. Visit their website at: www.froufrousweets.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home