KC Foodie

What to eat? I ask myself that about 100 times day because I am that much of a food whore. Especially living in Kansas City, it really seems like we have scant choices, unless you happen to be in the mood for BBQ (and I know it's blasphemous, but really I'm never in the mood for it because GASP! I don't like it). Join me on my gastronomic adventures through KC, and there will be some good eating to be done. In all seriousness, this is just to keep a log of how much of a pig I really am.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

In the mixx...

Not to be confused with the Usher movie flop of the same title. Let's see how many times I can put the word Mixx into this review. I have been waiting to write a review and mixx it up for awhile, even though no matter what I say, it won't affect its business. I mean, the place really couldn't be more successful. Everytime I come in, the tables are packed, the lines are out the door, and I mean, I want to copy their business plan because they've done right. Now, the one main problem I have with the Mixx, and what I think deters a lot of the Kansas City denizens who want to eat good food are the prices. I don't mean to sound like a Northern Californian (because I am not, and thank goodness), but the place is hella expensive.

The Mixx is an organic restaurant just south of the plaza, in the same development as the new Plaza Branch of the library. It serves, salads, soups, sandwiches and pastas for lunch and dinner, and a limited menu of breakfast items. You can mixx and match items into your salad or choose prefabricated ones. You're not likely to walk out of there with a bill of less than $10, and by competitive standards, that's fairly pricey. However, the Mixx does have some things that competitors like Panera do not have. It has ambiance and environment. This city has been needing a trendy place where people can dine and meet friends. The decor features a color scheme with bright orange, blues, and greens, as well as large windows that make the space look larger. The furniture and tables are very minimalist IKEA style. It is a cafeteria style sort of restaurant, in that you wait in line as your order is made, pay, then take it to a table. And honestly, it is the place to see and be seen. The regular lunchtime crowd consists of the hoiety toiety Ward Parkway/OP crowd (and surpringly that's a lot of geriatrics), the Plaza dwelling ladies who lunch, business people and others who are in and out quickly, and students like myself. It's a rather varied mixxing bowl (as opposed to melting pot [wrong restaurant]) of people.

I personally love, and I repeat LOVE the Salmon BLT. It is delicious. The Salmon is grilled perfectly, and the vegetables and bacon give the sandwich a nice crispness. The focaccia and herbed mayo are awesome too. However, for a restaurant that is a healthy alternative, it sure is pretty greasy. I mean, organic or not, I'm probably still going to have a heart attack regardless. All in moderation I guess. Each sandwich comes with gourmet potato chips, and if you're getting it to go, it comes in cute environmental friendly packaging. I have to be honest, I haven't mixxed it up and tried anything else yet--A. because I do not like paying upwards of $7 for a salad I could potentially mixx myself, B. the other offerings don't appeal to me, and C. because I will do what I damn well please. But I will say, their lemonades are great, because they make it the way I do at home, with club soda instead of water.

Some of my friends haven't really been impressed with some of their other offerings such as the Thanksgiving favorite or the Country Club, but I have heard that some of the pastas are very good. The salads look great, and feature a lot of exotic and interesting mixx-ins.

Lastly, the staff is semi-friendly. I mean, sometimes I think they've got an arrogant air about them, but sometimes they are very helpful. Regardless, I think the Mixx deserves a Mixxed review because it does provide a new, better for your health venue, but the prices are a little on the high side. Visit their site at www.mixxingitup.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home