KC Foodie

What to eat? I ask myself that about 100 times day because I am that much of a food whore. Especially living in Kansas City, it really seems like we have scant choices, unless you happen to be in the mood for BBQ (and I know it's blasphemous, but really I'm never in the mood for it because GASP! I don't like it). Join me on my gastronomic adventures through KC, and there will be some good eating to be done. In all seriousness, this is just to keep a log of how much of a pig I really am.

Friday, June 16, 2006

Viva la comida de Mexico!

Here's a topic near and dear to my beloved homestate of California. Mexican food. I don't think it would be a fallacy to say that California has the best (and most authentic) Mexican food. However, not to be outdone, Kansas City has quite a few good South of the Border eateries as well. Here are some of the ones I've tried.

Margarita's: Very well hidden away down on Southwest Boulevard, lies Margarita's, a restaurant with good food in huge portions. Albeit the somewhat dingy decor (most of the booths have ripped up seats, and the tables are often standing on uneven legs), the salsa is decent and very mild. Come in on at lunch hour or any weekend night and the place is completely packed. They've got a tiny bar area near the front, with a tv screen or two that is currently showing World Cup soccer action, or any other sporting events. There's smoking and nonsmoking sections. In the nonsmoking sections, there are a few booths, a pinata and some weird 80s art deco looking pictures. The food is very rich. The last time I was there (I've been 3 times now), I had the steak fajita quesadilla, which has a ton of creamy queso fresco (I think) and monterrey jack with a huge dollup of sour cream on top. It was seriously cheesy. Like Chester Cheetah cheesy. The meat and peppers are seasoned really well and the quesadilla is filled thick with them, and I could only eat 3 wedges before getting full. I did sort of gorge on chips and salsa before my meal arrived though. Their enchiladas are decent, as are their specials. I really like their Lucky #13 Flauta platter, very crispy, but the meat can get dry. Their Cancun which is a monster of a burrito filled with beef, pork, cheese, and covered with egg and cheese, is delicious. I like Margarita's.

Jalapenos Brookside: This is where I spent Cinco de Mayo this year, having dinner with some friends. I also had the fajita quesadilla, and it might have been better here, for the fact that it isn't quite as cheesy and rich. It's like the quesadillas that I'm used to having back home. The reason I always eat quesadillas is because I don't like beans. And most burritos have beans. So that's a no go. However, Jalapeno's has one big flaw. When ordering a bean and cheese burrito, my friend was disapointed to find that they used nacho cheese that looked and tasted like cheez whiz. This restaurant is packed on the weekends, and has decent food, although maybe not as authentic.

Manny's: I'm really not that big of a fan of this chain. Another Southwest Boulevard institution, I have had their nachos, and that was alright, but there were so many ingredients that it was sort of overkill. I also have had the flautas here, but they seemed more greasy, and the meat wasn't really seasoned. Their food really lacks the flavor of some of the other establishments around the city. Also, I don't think their salsa is as good as they tout. The margaritas that my friends got were weak, but some of my other friends have stated that the margaritas border on too strong, if there is such a thing. The service isnt' that great here, and the food is pretty much bland.

Rudy's: The one time I have been to Rudy's, I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed their fish tacos, thinking that these were very authentic tasting, like I was down in Baja or something. Another very popular place to eat, their bar is packed on the weekends. I have tried to return, but they had a hour + wait, so we went elsewhere, but hopefully sometime soon, I'll get to eat there again. The small restaurant has a nice homey feel, and they have a pretty big menu, so there are good choices...

Baja 600: Let's say that the only redeeming quality about this restaurant is its location on the plaza.

I haven't tried Sol Azteca or Sol Cantina yet, but I have heard good things about both, although Sol Cantina is more appreciated for its bar. And if you're just looking for some fast food options that are really palate pleasing, I always recommend Chipotle, Baja Fresh (is it still open at Town Center?), and of course Pancho's and Taco Bell, your finer options.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home