KC Foodie

What to eat? I ask myself that about 100 times day because I am that much of a food whore. Especially living in Kansas City, it really seems like we have scant choices, unless you happen to be in the mood for BBQ (and I know it's blasphemous, but really I'm never in the mood for it because GASP! I don't like it). Join me on my gastronomic adventures through KC, and there will be some good eating to be done. In all seriousness, this is just to keep a log of how much of a pig I really am.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

there's a reason its the most important meal of the day...i just haven't found that reason yet

Let me just start out with this statement: I hate breakfast food. Now, I like eggs, omelettes, sausage, bacon, but I'm not a fan of pancakes, waffles, pastries, bagels, blintzes whatever. I eat pate on toast for breakfast most days. That is how snobby I am. Just kidding, or not. I've already talked about Eggtc, and nothing about that place has really changed, except that G-dub ate there during his last visit, thus making me late for school. Thanks, G-dub.

ANYWAY,

Harvey House Diner: In the Union Station building, this is the cutest place to take people from out of town. I don't know how it's going to be, eating breakfast with all of those "bodies revealed" cadavers hanging out in the basement, but you should try this place. It's patterned after an old time diner, with counter seating, luscious pies in a refrigerator counter, checkered floors, fifties style tables and a big menu. I went there for lunch twice, the first time I got a patty melt, which was really good, burger was nice and thick, juicy, not too fatty. Fries were seasoned just right. The second time, I actually opted for breakfast food, french toast, which was good as far as French Toast goes, not the most difficult to make. The service at the counter was just okay, they kind of forgot about us. Trust me though, cute place, a little overpriced.

You Say Tomato: 28th and Holmes, so the neighborhood is sort of sketch, but it's near TMC and Children's Mercy, so that's like a built in customer base. Smart. Three artists opened this breakfast/lunch place out of an old neighborhood grocery that had long since been gone. It's a little confusing when you walk in, there's a hodgepodge of mismatched tables and chairs and some smaller sized shopping carts. At the side there's a few shelves set aside to be an organic grocery, with panko breadcrumbs, canned vegetables, EVOO, organic pasta, tomato sauce, sea salt, sriracha, coconut milk, etc. They even have an old refrigerator case that displays fruits and veggies. The first time I went, it was in the middle of a lunch rush, and even though we ordered a BLT and a it took forever, as there was only one cook in the back! Another employee was busy with the cash register, and another was sort of busing the tables. The food that time was decent, but the wait was just too long. The second time, I went to Sunday brunch with my friend, and it went a lot more smoothly. We beat the brunch crowd, ordered our paninis (they have paninis of the week), and it came out fairly quickly. The paninis are probably not made on a panini maker, but the bread was crusty and the cheese was melted perfectly. They have a variety of pastries, brownies, pie, muffins that they make on site, and they look terrific, especially the cinnamon roll. They also have a variety of salads, hummus, sandwiches, grits (which my friend said were great with cheese), pasta salad, and they bake their own bread. Any place that puts that much effort and time into their food deserves some customers who will try it out.

The Corner: I like to think of this place on the corner of Broadway and Westport as my own Seinfeld restaurant, although I rarely eat there, and if I do it's because I was probably very drunk the night before. I love their southwestern omelet though, all of that sausage and chorizo and more sausage scrambled up into eggs. They also have this one Louisiana style omelette, which is andouille-d out. Get there early though, before the egg substitute runs out. Their pancakes look great, too. And their hot chocolate is really delicious, even at almost $2 for a small mug. This place is packed on the weekends, and they only serve breakfast on Sunday. Oddly, this place also serves Mediterranean dishes like hummus and falafel, but you should really stick to the breakfast items. If you're not faint hearted, you should definitely go here, if you are or if you work for the Health Department, you should probably find somewhere else to go.

First Watch: I've only been to the one in Westport, and let me tell you, may be the best experience at a restaurant ever. I want to give a shoutout to Carlos, who was the best waiter ever. He was so attentive, and refilled my ice tea like eight times (it was that good), and then when we were done, he gave us to go containers of our drinks. Who does this? It's unheard of, and this is why I still remember Carlos to this day. The food wasn't half bad either. I had the Burrito Vera Cruz, which was the size of two toilet paper rolls stacked, full of egg substitute, chorizo, cheese, topped with sour cream and paired with breakfast potatoes. I later found out that this meal was about 1000 calories, but it was too good to even think of that. My friend had some sort of egg substitute combo, but was offered to substitute pancakes for one of the things in the combo, without even asking! You go Carlos. The coffee was great, my ice tea was awesome. They offer free internet there. While this place is a chain restaurant, it's way better than any sort of IHOP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home