KC Foodie

What to eat? I ask myself that about 100 times day because I am that much of a food whore. Especially living in Kansas City, it really seems like we have scant choices, unless you happen to be in the mood for BBQ (and I know it's blasphemous, but really I'm never in the mood for it because GASP! I don't like it). Join me on my gastronomic adventures through KC, and there will be some good eating to be done. In all seriousness, this is just to keep a log of how much of a pig I really am.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

KC BBQ: rubbing me the right way since 2006

I've spent almost 6 years in Kansas City, and am actually hoping to do my medical residency here, too--which would mean another 5 years in the Emerald City/City of Fountains/Heart of America. So I thought I would re-start this blog and talk about my recent experiences with the culinary delights of this fine city. I'm not even being sarcastic or loose with my usage of the word 'delights'.

I have been busy, but since I am currently enjoying the senioritis that comes with any last year of intense schooling, I have a little more time on my hands that I could probably use studying, improving myself by going to the gym, reading, etc, but instead I choose to spend it here with you. Won't you be my neighbor?

As a medical student in this fine city (we have three medical school here by the way, talk about saturation), you would think I would be all about healthy choices. Judging from the fact that I ate at Gates BBQ (Hi, may I help you!) last night, that is obviously not true.

I think I may be changing my stance on BBQ. Kansas City BBQ is a dry rub type of BBQ that isn't pre-sauced on the grill/in the smoker whatever. I like this, I like to mix my own sauces (it's like fine chemistry to get it all right) and smother it all over the meat I get. Since I am a control freak and enjoy this autonomy, KC BBQ beats Texas/Tennessee/other random Southern states IMHO.

Now that said, Gates was the first BBQ place I sampled on the day of my orientation in July of 2003. I did not like it. I didn't like the yelling, I didn't like the greasiness, I didn't like the overwhelming sodium intake that comes along with smothering everything in their classic sauce. That said, if you are a visitor to Kansas City, I think you should at least try it, if not one of the other BBQ joints I will list in the coming paragraphs. There's lots of locations across the metro--I go to the one on Main, and sometimes the one of Troost. Yeah. I said Troost. Don't be alarmed when the workers yell, "Hi, may I help you!" it's a part of the schtick and charm.

I hate to say it, but I kind of like Gates now. Sort of. Every time I go there, I get the burnt ends on bun, but invariable I never eat the bun. It is definitely tasty, but so greasy and there are always chunks of fat which are not that appetizing to me. They also serve steak fries of which I am not a huge fan. I do like their classic sauce more so than the sweet version and I like the pickles so that works out.

Now the best BBQ in the city, in my opinion, is Oklahoma Joe's. You have to go to the original location off 47th and Mission--the restaurant is in a gas station. Which makes it so effing cool. Don't think they don't capitalize on that, they've got a t-shirt. I mean, if that's not kitsch, I don't know what is. The Z-man is the most heavenly tasting sandwich ever--juicy brisket, provolone topped off with an onion ring on a kaiser roll. Smother that in their Cowtown sauce and oh my god, I need a minute. God love ya, OK Joe's. If the Z-man were a real man, I would marry him. Their Carolina sandwich which is pulled pork, brisket, or turkey with spicy slaw and 'Bubba's sauce' is also decent. Doesn't quite make it to Z status though. Their bag of seasoned fries is HUGE (that's what she said, yes I'm still living in 2006) and their onion rings are to die for. Not to mention their Hog Heaven sandwich--pork sausage and pulled pork, yeah I know...awesome, is great too. Their sauces really make everything though. The Cowtown is a mild tomato, while the night of the living dead is a chipotle infused sweet/hot sauce. There is also a very thin/liquidy vinegar based tomato sauce that has nice spice. If you only have time to go to one place, GO TO OKLAHOMA JOE's. But, be prepared to wait, it is very popular.

Arthur Bryant's: I'm a little ashamed to say I've never been to the original location in the 18th and Vine area of KC. I have however, been to the one in the Ameristar because that's the way I roll. I would say, eh, not that great. Didn't really care for the sauce or the white bread it was served with. Like I get what they're going for, and I could see how people would really like it, but I'm not sure that it is worthy of one of the 1000 places to see before you die. Trivia factoid: it's the only 'see before you die' location in Missouri, beating out the St. Louis Arch, Harry S Truman home/museum, Hannibal MO, Nelson Atkins shuttlecocks, and my personal favorite the world's largest Pecan in Brunswick. Yeah, I'll be quiet now.

Jack Stack: If you're looking for some finer dining options in the realm of BBQ, I would definitely suggest Jack Stack. I've been to the Plaza and Downtown locations--both chic cowboy elegant, and have also had their catering on several occasions. The prime rib sandwich is awesome, as is the Poor Russ which is burnt ends on a sesame seed bun (I love me some burnt ends as you can see). You have to try the cheesy corn because you'll never ever go back to regular creamed again--dare I say that I would take a bath in the stuff, although of course I'd let it cool down first. Their turkey, beef brisket, and pork ribs are all juicy (virtually impossible when you order catering from anywhere, but somehow the meat juices hold up).

I've eaten at Famous Dave's at the American Royal-verdict: fair, but mass produced so it isn't anything to blog about. They have that big location at Power and Light, which kudos to their real estate scout.

There are literally like 100 more BBQ restaurants in KC, but I'll have to start taking some blood pressure meds if I want to visit any more of them. I'm having palps just thinking about it.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home