KC Foodie

What to eat? I ask myself that about 100 times day because I am that much of a food whore. Especially living in Kansas City, it really seems like we have scant choices, unless you happen to be in the mood for BBQ (and I know it's blasphemous, but really I'm never in the mood for it because GASP! I don't like it). Join me on my gastronomic adventures through KC, and there will be some good eating to be done. In all seriousness, this is just to keep a log of how much of a pig I really am.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Times a changin'

Reading some of my old posts, I have realized how much has changed in my culinary tastes. I've also realized that I go out to eat a lot. Rudy's is like one of my favorites go-to places for Mexican--love the quesadilla, love the fajitas.

For more mexican fare: Sol Azteca (off Southwest and Rainbow)--which has some very legit tacos del carbon, and their fajita quesadilla is also very good. Their salsa is very fresh and zesty, too. I have been here several times, and it has not disappointed. The family also runs Dos Reales in Shawnee?, near the Fazoli's which is really good, too.

Teocali by UMKC Med/Dental school is also very good, their tacos are great, quesadillas and enchiladas are if not authentic, very savory. Very crowded at lunch, filled with dental, med and Children's Mercy workers.

Bo Ling's (chinese please) is now a favorite because their kung pao chicken is seriously the bomb--the sauce is thick and dark, served with fried green beans, it is spicy and the chicken is tender and perfect. If it wasn't like $12, I would totally eat this more often. There are a bunch of locations which makes it convenient too. I like the one at City Market because the decor is nicer than that on the Plaza.

I've eaten at Bangkok Pavilion since the last time I wrote, and you know what? Not bad at all. The only thing was that we were the only diners for like 80% of the meal and it was a Saturday night. Not very promising. The Pad thai was good, not tomato based, chicken was tender and tofu was very good. Apparently there is a buffet or something on the weekends, but it is quite a drive for me. And if I'm going to be out that way, I usually just grab something to eat at Whole Foods. Gotta love those pizzas.

Sung Son, my fave Vietnamese restaurant in the city (I am Vietnamese, so you should probably take my recommendation) has a lunch buffet! I love it. The concept is something I haven't seen before, which is surprising because in my day I've been to a lot of Vietnamese buffets in SoCal. There is a noodle bar, where you can have one of five types of soups (Beef Chicken Bo Vien [meatball] Pho, Seafood or Pork/Chicken Hu Tieu) made to order. There are like 15 or so other food items to choose from: Bun Thit nuong (Vermicelli with grilled pork, my fav!), Banh Tom Chien (sweet potato fries with shrimp), Spring Rolls with peanut sauce, egg rolls, Goi Ga (Chicken Salad, Viet style = no mayo, lots of flavor), Chinese fare such as General Tso's, Chow Mein, Fried Rice, Spare ribs; french style beef, curried chicken.

Have been to the Classic Cookie at Gregory and Wornall for brunch a few times now. Cute, small mom and pop place--food is okay, you know you could get the same stuff anywhere. I've had the breakfast burrito, which according to my dining companion would be so much better if the tortilla was grilled. The charm is in the small basket of baked goods that comes with lunch. I learned this the hard way when I ate breakfast there, requested a basket and was charged like $4 for it--and the cookies were kind of stale. The mini-muffins are awesome though, love the pumpkin and apple cinnamon ones.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home